Sunday, January 3, 2010

Recipe: Spinach and Feta Chicken Roll-ups

If I ever were to run for Miss America, or Miss Anything, I too would wish for "world peace". And I would do so by sharing this recipe, far and wide, for all to taste...



You will need:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed and minced (depending on taste... I. Love. Garlic.)
1 medium sized onion, minced
5-6 cups fresh spinach
1/2 cup feta cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil, or butter
1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
Toothpicks

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Heat the oil or butter in a skillet over low heat. Add the minced onions and garlic to the pan and cook very slow until the onions are caramel colored and soft. 


While the onions and garlic are cooking, pound the chicken breasts until they are about 1/4 inch thick.


When the onions are done, sprinkle the spinach on top of the garlic-onion mix and cover. Cook on low until the spinach is wilted. Set aside and cool for a few minutes.


Pour the wine or chicken broth into a baking dish.


Using a spoon, scoop about three tablespoons (or as much will fit) onto each flattened chicken breast. Sprinkle with a little bit of feta. Starting at one side, carefully roll the chicken and secure with as many toothpicks as needed (it helps to count them and put the same amount in each chicken roll-up so you don't forget one and stab yourself while enjoying them later.)***


Place each chicken roll-up in the baking dish, sprinkle with the remaining feta, and put in the oven. Bake for 45 minutes, or until completely done and no longer pink.


***If you don't have time or desire to do the roll ups, you can just as tastily do them without. Simply place the chicken breasts as is in the baking dish and cover with the spinach mixture and feta. I do it this way more often than not.



I usually serve this with some kind of whole wheat pasta, or dumplings. But, trust me, it goes well with anything. Even cold, I'm sure.

This is my hubs all-time favorite meal. We have it weekly. It is yummy.


Now, go. Try it. 

And when you feel all fuzzy and warm and elated...
It means that I did indeed to my part to kindle world peace.

Even you, spinach hater.


Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment