Friday, November 20, 2009

we failed our soil test...

I am terrible at tests. Any test.

I guessed all of the answers on my SAT's (except English, which I miraculously scored 100%). I failed my motorcyclist test by getting the first four answers wrong, I refuse to take blood tests, and I wince every time I go to the eye doctor, worrying they might not believe I can't read the last line.

I am dreadful at science, history, and above all, math. I literally had to use a calculator today to determine how old I am. I'm 23. Apparently.

But, I guess I had high hopes when someone approached us wanting to test the soil on our property. I mean, soil and gardening is my thing. I love it. Whenever I'm in the garden, I feel like a woodland fairy creature , galavanting among the roses and perennials. I send secret wishes to the seeds I've started over winter, telling them to grow, and live, and produce. I gently place them in the ground and coax them into adulthood waiting for the day I can pluck their ripe fruit and toss them gingerly into my mouth.

Students from the university came by a few months ago, snatched a sample of our soil, and then sent it off somewhere to be tested. A few weeks later, the results were tucked between our front door, and I was shocked. Mortified.

Normal amounts of lead found in soil are around 400 ppm (parts per million). In the city, where all the older houses are, like ours, it's normal for them to be as high as 800 ppm.

Our levels are 2,156 ppm.

We have been advised to wipe our shoes extremely well, and take them off right away. No extended periods of playing outside, especially for dogs and kids. And definitely, don't eat the dirt!

I knew we were supposed to be careful with an older house, you know, don't eat the paint off the walls and such, but now we have to be cautious in our own backyard?

To quote some google search results:

"Soil with lead levels of 1,000 ppm or more is considered hazardous waste"

"Fetuses and small children, because of their rapidly developing nervous systems, are more sensitive to and suffer the most harm from lead exposure. Adverse effects include damage to the brain and nervous system, lower I.Q., behavior problems and slow growth. Adults may suffer cognitive decline, hypertension, nerve disorders, muscle pain and reproductive problems."

"By growing spinach for three months, researchers at the University of Southern Maine lowered the lead count in one garden by 200 p.p.m. Of course, the lead-leaching crop cannot be eaten or composted and must be disposed of as toxic waste."

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Spinach is my all-time favorite vegetable, and suddenly it's been turned into a "lead-leaching-crop"! 

What are we going to do!?

I really did not anticipate to fail this test. Mother Nature is my friend, not foe. But, I guess there are only a few options for us. 

Either we sell the house, move to the country, and have soil tests performed on every potential home.

Say, "Oh well!" and risk the health of our unborn babes.

Or...

play like this:


(Future family cavorting in anti contamination suits, a space helmet, and a bubble.)


Any suggestions?



4 comments:

  1. Hm I discovered your site through Boho Girl. :) Might you just grown an entire lawn of spinach for a few years and just pack it up and throw it out with the garbage? Sure your neighbors might not be too pleased, but hey, it's a cheap way to clean out the lead! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melanie, thanks for visiting! (I love Boho Girl!) I might just have to try that, since we can't seem to get grass to grow anyway, this might be the perfect solution. And I'll just try not to make eye contact with the neighbors... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am curiοus to find out what blоg system yοu have been utilizing?
    I’m experiencіng some small security iѕsuеs with my latest webѕite аnd I’d like to find sоmеthing more secure.

    Do you have any solutions?

    Also ѵisit my homepage - organic potting soil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Afteг looκіng іnto a numbеr of thе blog рosts on your web рage, І гeally appгeciаtе youг way οf blogging.

    I bookmarkeԁ it to my bookmark ωebsite liѕt
    аnԁ wіll be checking bаck in the near future.
    Tаke a look at my wеb site too аnd tell me your
    opinіon.

    Here iѕ my wеb blog lоѕing weight after 50 with pilates ()

    ReplyDelete