Sunday, November 8, 2009

my husband is a mean, horrible person...


I know, I know...in my first post I said he was a handsome, wonderful man, blah, blah, blah...whatever. He's mean and cruel. But still handsome.

He hung our Christmas lights today. Our very first Christmas lights on our very first home. We decided to do it today because it was 70-flippen degrees, and nice and warm and sunshiney. So, what's the problem, you're thinking?

He won't let me light them.

Nope. He is laying down the law and won't let me light them, won't let me decorate the house with all the garland, glitter, and spicy cinnamon splendor that I wait all year for.

The rule is, I have to wait until after Thanksgiving, or, until the first major snowfall.

Typically, in Wisconsin, if you have a 70 degree Sunday, you will probably have a 30 degree Friday, but the forecast isn't looking so good. I know I should be grateful for the nice weather, and I wouldn't normally care if it's warm or cold, but when my happiness and merriment rely on the terrible weather we normally have here, it matters. It does.

It would have been better had I at least had a brief chance to witness the beauty of those little twinkling lights, but, we didn't test them. When we do test them, he's only allowing us to have them on for a few seconds, just to see if they do in fact work. Unless during those few seconds, the skies open up and let loose a torrential downpour of big fluffy flakes.

I tried all the arguments. I said, the lights are sad, and cold, and they can't see anything out there on the roof. It's the first time out of their box, their home, we need to let them know that they are wanted here and that they have fulfilled their life's purpose!

Didn't work.

I guess I'm just going to have to wait for a few weeks more, or pray that we get a nice snowfall. I've been sneaking peeks at the Christmas boxes in the basement while I'm down there doing laundry. I noticed a few days ago that one of them miraculously opened, and out sprawled a sparkling red tendril of garland. Today I looked and saw it had opened even more! I caught a glimpse of shimmering gold orbs, scented pine cones, and the trim of my Angel's skirt.

It's too much, I can't wait! I want to see evergreen and mistletoe! I want our homemade Nativity set unpacked and on display! It's too much to wait until the first snow fall! and I have to wait even longer to put baby Jesus in the Manger, he can't come out until Christmas Day!

What am I going to do!?

I know. I'm going to make Holiday cookies and tell my grinch of a husband that he has to wait until Thanksgiving to eat them.

And I'm going to wear Christmas socks every day until those lights can sparkle like their meant to.


(Un-lit Christmas lights...)

4 comments:

  1. I like your strategy about making cookies and not letting the Grinch eat them until Thanskgiving.

    This was a great entry, I love the way your Christmas decorations are slowly, slithering out of their storage boxes.

    Keep up the good blogs,I am looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Gasp* How dare he?! Some day when he comes home, just have everything set up!! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No cookies till after thanksgiving....did it work?

    ReplyDelete