Tuesday, May 11, 2010

once upon a time...

I was sixteen and had a disposable camera...

(Left to Right: K, Me, Kimberly, El.)

...and I was a bridesmaid in El's wedding.

These are my friends from years ago.
We met through a community theatre when I was only thirteen, and have stayed friends since.
Through my teenage years, I looked up to these women. 
We shared crushes, makeup, tears, secrets, clothes, bobby pins, shoes, hairspray, jokes, and break ups. 
And we shared gallons of glitter.


Then, I grew up some more, got a nice new film camera, and took this picture at Kimberly's wedding...

That's Kim on the left! She, in fact, has a blog herself. It's a crafty blog full of crafty things, recipes, and seriously adorable stories of her babies.

Once, I thought I killed her. 

I can't remember the details now, but it was my idea to get a late dinner at our favorite Perkins. 
We laughed a lot, as usual, and I remember being giddy with excitement to get to spend the next day with her at one of our theatre performances. 

On her way home, driving 70 miles an hour on the highway, she rear ended an SUV. 
Now, if my memory serves me right, there was construction, she was talking on the phone, and the SUV was parked as traffic was at a stand-still. 
If all of the above is indeed true, I'm not sure why I still blame myself for the accident. Even though it was my idea to get a late supper, the afore mentioned scenarios were much larger contributors to her collision, wouldn't you say?

The next day, I waited for her to show up to the performance. 
She was late. Really late.
Finally, someone came up to me and told me she had been in an accident the night before.
I was stunned. I cried and cried, I blamed it on myself.
If it weren't for me wanting to grab a late snack, if it weren't for me keeping her out late, she wouldn't have run into a parked vehicle on the highway!
They said her car was completely totaled, the brand new car she had just bought a few days before.
But, then they said, she only broke her nose, and she was safe.

Phew!

Anyway.
I went to the store to develop that picture, but I only had the negative...

Well, apparently, they don't know how to do that anymore. 
I handed them the negative and in return, I received the emptiest of blank stares I have ever laid eyes on.
And though they were all wearing name tags that stated, 
"19 years photo lab experience"
they clearly did not know how to handle this situation.

An hour or so later, after summoning several more photo technicians, I was given back an envelope filled with all of the pictures I did not want printed, and only one that I did.

Oh well.


More years passed by, and, even though I feel like the same. exact. person. in the first photo, I guess I must have grown up enough to get married myself...

That's ME! In the middle! At MY mostly-grown-up-adult-ish wedding!

This time, I erhm, actually, our parents had enough money to hire a photographer to take the picture!
 Luckily, I didn't have to sort through negatives to get a second print of this. I had it neatly stored on our trusty Mac. All I hubby had to do was zip it over to a USB and take it to the store to print.

That, they do know how to do.

I don't have much else to say about the USB.
Except that,
later that night, when I was dressing for bed, I found it nestled in my underwear.
No. I don't know how it got there.
I've retraced my steps, questioned my husband, and scratched my head.
No idea how it ended up there.

That brings us to the present, at "K's" wedding, where I completely forgot a camera of any sort.


So, I stole it from Kim's blog. Yup, I right-clicked that sucker. (but, ps. only I'm allowed to do so, so don't you dare try it yourself.)
You can read her side of K's wedding over on her blog, with a detailed, hilarious, and very, very accurate account of "the lake fly incident" .


Day to day, it never seems as if anything is changing. 
We feel the same, act the same, 
and looking back at our reflections, 
we think we look the same as yesterday.

But, for the four of us, most things have changed.

From disposable, to film, to digital cameras.

When once upon a time we giggled about boys and crushes while trying to adhere our false eyelashes.

Now we laugh and sigh contentedly about husbands, homes, and babies.

And it is good.


1 comment:

  1. aw.... I got a little teary!!!! ;) But, you expect that of me, don't you?

    ReplyDelete